The Aggie basketball team suffered a bad loss that hurt their postseason chances when Vanderbilt…
Aggie Hoops Host Commodores
Texas A&M (12-6, 3-2) hopes the homecoming to familiar surroundings will spark a return to the win column after suffering its first SEC losses of the season last week at Mississippi State and Kentucky. Reed Arena has been a marked home court advantage for the Aggies this season as they are 11-1 on their home court.
The Aggies enter the weekend sharing fifth place in the SEC standings alongside LSU, Mississippi State and Tennessee.
Saturday's match-up will be televised on ESPNU with Tom Hart (play-by-play) and Jon Sun (commentary) calling all the action. Additionally, the game can be heard on the Texas A&M Sports Network with local coverage in the Bryan-College Station area on WTAW (1620 AM). Rookie Davonte Fitzgerald has been one of the many bright spots for the Aggies this season and enters the Vandy contest as the SEC's reigning Freshman of the Week. The Atlanta native earned the weekly honor after averaging 16.5 points on nearly 60 percent shooting from the field and 3.5 rebounds against South Carolina and Mississippi State.
Fitzgerald has played in all 18 games this season and is averaging 12.8 points per game during SEC play to rank fifth among league freshman.
Saturday will mark just the third-ever meeting between the Aggies and Commodores on the hardwood and the first in College Station. Last season, Vanderbilt earned a 63-56 victory over A&M on Feb. 16 inside Memorial Gym in Nashville.
This year, the Commodores own a 9-8 overall record with a 1-4 mark in SEC play despite being competitive in each contest. Their lone victory in league action came at home against a talented Missouri team on Jan. 16. Vandy is 0-4 on the road this season under 15th year head coach Kevin Stallings.
* The Aggies enter the week with a 3-2 record in league play to share fifth place in the SEC standings alongside LSU, Mississippi State and Tennessee.
* Texas A&M and Vanderbilt have met only two previous times on the hardwood, most recently a 63-56 Commodores win in Nashville last season ... Saturday will be the first meeting between the schools in College Station.
* Texas A&M is 11-1 on its home court this season and 147-29 (.835) inside Reed Arena since the start of the 2004-05 campaign.
* During SEC play, the Aggies lead the league in 3-point shooting at 42.1 percent.
* Freshman Davonte Fitzgerald continues to improve during his first season on the court for the Aggies ... The Atlanta, Ga., enters the weekend ranking fifth among SEC freshman scoring 12.8 points per game in league play ... Fitzgerald is shooting .523 during SEC games.
* Sophomore Alex Caruso remains the SEC's leader in assists (91) and assists per game (5.1) while ranking fourth in steals per game (2.2).
AggieDigest.com Recommended Stories
Dr. Roto Video: Waiver Wire Wednesday
Dr. Roto believes Miami Dolphins WR Jarvis Landry will overtake WR Brian Hartline as the team's No. 2 receiver sooner rather than later. Stay ahead of the curve with Dr. Roto!Read More
Giants Strike First In Game One Rout
The San Francisco Giants came out swinging in Game One of the 2014 World Series, scoring three times in the first inning and never looking back.Read More
Three of earth’s best ingredients combined into one succulent strip. Tailgaters will bow in appreciation.Read More
National Anthem Played with a Gun!
Musical targets? Yes, this guy plays the national anthem while shooting musical targets.Read More
Late Season Eastern Steel
NAFC friend, Frank Scalish, is best known for his achievements as a professional bass fisherman, but when the weather cools, the tourneys are over and the last bass has been weighed, he dons waders,…Read More