Careers & Jobs
Real Estate & Rentals
Full MSN Index
Aggie Hoops Host Commodores
Aggie Websider Publisher
Posted Jan 25, 2014
Following two consecutive road games, the Texas A&M men's basketball team returns to its home court Saturday afternoon when it entertains Vanderbilt in a Noon contest at Reed Arena.
Following two consecutive road games, the
men's basketball team returns to its home court Saturday afternoon when it entertains
in a Noon contest at Reed Arena.
Texas A&M (12-6, 3-2) hopes the homecoming to familiar surroundings will spark a return to the win column after suffering its first SEC losses of the season last week at
. Reed Arena has been a marked home court advantage for the Aggies this season as they are 11-1 on their home court.
The Aggies enter the weekend sharing fifth place in the SEC standings alongside
, Mississippi State and
Saturday's match-up will be televised on ESPNU with Tom Hart (play-by-play) and Jon Sun (commentary) calling all the action. Additionally, the game can be heard on the Texas A&M Sports Network with local coverage in the Bryan-College Station area on WTAW (1620 AM). Rookie
has been one of the many bright spots for the Aggies this season and enters the Vandy contest as the SEC's reigning Freshman of the Week. The Atlanta native earned the weekly honor after averaging 16.5 points on nearly 60 percent shooting from the field and 3.5 rebounds against
and Mississippi State.
Fitzgerald has played in all 18 games this season and is averaging 12.8 points per game during SEC play to rank fifth among league freshman.
Saturday will mark just the third-ever meeting between the Aggies and Commodores on the hardwood and the first in College Station. Last season, Vanderbilt earned a 63-56 victory over A&M on Feb. 16 inside Memorial Gym in Nashville.
This year, the Commodores own a 9-8 overall record with a 1-4 mark in SEC play despite being competitive in each contest. Their lone victory in league action came at home against a talented
team on Jan. 16. Vandy is 0-4 on the road this season under 15th year head coach
* The Aggies enter the week with a 3-2 record in league play to share fifth place in the SEC standings alongside LSU, Mississippi State and Tennessee.
* Texas A&M and Vanderbilt have met only two previous times on the hardwood, most recently a 63-56 Commodores win in Nashville last season ... Saturday will be the first meeting between the schools in College Station.
* Texas A&M is 11-1 on its home court this season and 147-29 (.835) inside Reed Arena since the start of the 2004-05 campaign.
* During SEC play, the Aggies lead the league in 3-point shooting at 42.1 percent.
* Freshman Davonte Fitzgerald continues to improve during his first season on the court for the Aggies ... The Atlanta, Ga., enters the weekend ranking fifth among SEC freshman scoring 12.8 points per game in league play ... Fitzgerald is shooting .523 during SEC games.
remains the SEC's leader in assists (91) and assists per game (5.1) while ranking fourth in steals per game (2.2).
Hop's Vanderbilt Game Analysis
Jan 26, 2014
Hop's Kentucky Game Analysis
Jan 22, 2014
Fitzgerald Garners Weekly Honors
Jan 20, 2014
2014 Scout.com Recruiting Yearbook
with an annual Total Access Pass
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from Websider.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Topics to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite topics. Click link to add to
Basketball > Texas A&M
View My HotList
Copyright © 2014 Scout.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms of Service
Junior College Football
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2014 Microsoft