Alabama had a very difficult game against LSU last week and as a result has seen its statistical…
Ten Things to Know - A&M vs. Alabama
1. Alabama head coach Nick Saban is in his seventh season in Tuscaloosa. In that time his record is 59-12 with one SEC conference championship and two national championships. With his one national championship at LSU, he's the only active coach to win three BCS national championships.
2. The Aggies will be making their first appearance on the SEC game of week on CBS at the 2:30 PM time slot. This will also mark Texas A&M's first time on CBS since the 1998 Cotton Bowl versus UCLA (Bruins won 29-23). This will mark the Aggies' fourth true national broadcast on 2012 which is the most in any season in the program's history.
3. The match-up on Saturday will be Texas A&M's 12th all-time meeting against the nation's No. 1 team. The Aggies are 1-10 in those games with the only win coming at Kyle Field against Oklahoma in 2002 with a 30-26 victory.
4. Alabama holds a 3-1 in the series. The Crimson Tide and Aggies have met twice in the Cotton Bowl with A&M's only win coming in 1968 when a young Gene Stallings defeated his former coach and mentor Bear Bryant 20-16. Stallings went on to coach Alabama from 1990-1996 and won a national championship. The two teams met twice in the 1980's, with Alabama winning 23-10 in Birmingham and in College Station 30-10 in the infamous Hurricane Bowl.
5. Something has to give as the SEC's No. 1 defense (Alabama – 229 yds/gm) faces the SEC's No. 1 offense (A&M – 560 yds/gm). The Crimson Tide defense gives up on average 9.1 points a game compared to A&M's offense averaging 44.7 points per contest.
6. While Alabama's passing game ranks just No. 80 in total yardage, their pass efficiency ranks No. 1 in the country. That means they may not throw it as much as teams like Texas A&M, but they are effective when they do throw the ball. A.J. McCarron has not thrown an interception and he averages a whopping 9.5 yards per attempt (A&M averages 7.99 yds/att). Alabama has thrown 20 TD's in just 211 passes compared to 17 TD's in 347 throws for A&M. That can be attributed to big plays from play action fakes that result in an effective physical running game.
7. Alabama's defense is ranked in the Top 5 nationally in numerous categories including scoring defense (1), total defense (2), rushing defense (2), passing efficiency defense (5), and turnover margin (4).
8. Despite Alabama's lofty national rankings on defense, the secondary has surrendered over 500 yards (MSU – 209 yds, LSU – 296 yds) through the air and a 61% completion percentage. MSU ranks No. 62 in pass offense and LSU ranks No. 98. By contrast, Texas A&M ranks No. 19 in passing.
9. Alabama will honor before the game 23 men who played and coached for the legendary Paul "Bear" Bryant including members from the Junction Boys. Among those expected in attendance include Gene Stallings, Bryant's only Heisman Trophy winner John David Crow, Dee Powell, and Dennis Goehring to name a few. Other festivities are scheduled to honor these A&M players under Bryant.
10. If Texas A&M wins on Saturday, that will mark a perfect 6-0 record on the road, something no other Aggie team has accomplished. In five road games so far, the Aggies have scored 238 points (47.6/gm) and have given up just 121 points (24.2/gm). The win will also assure A&M of a winning conference record in its inaugural SEC season.
AggieDigest.com Recommended Stories
Amazing Video: Scout's Top Football Recruits
Watch hundreds of incredible profiles of the country's top football recruits in action. For all you recruiting fanatics, it doesn't get any better than this!Read More
Rivalry Week on Scout
Build yourself a sky-high left-over turkey sandwich, cover it in a creamy sauce of hate, and get ready to scream!Read More
Outdoorsman's Gift Guide: Christmas 2014
Finding just the right present for that special someone can be a challenge, so we’ve compiled a wide variety of hunting, fishing and outdoor gifts that you—or Santa—can deliver this Christmas.Read More
Gains in Wheeled Combat Vehicles Closing Gaps
Do advances in wheeled combat vehicles signal that they can now deliver the same mobility as tracked systems in deep mud or sand dunes?Read More
Out, the New Star Wars Trailer Is!
If you don't get goosebumps when the John Williams score kicks in, the force is most likely not with you.Read More