Careers & Jobs
Real Estate & Rentals
Full MSN Index
Aggies Stay Alive in Big 12 Tourney
Aggie Websider Publisher
Posted Mar 7, 2012
The Texas Aggie basketball team lives to fight another day in Big 12 Tournament making 14 straight free throws down the stretch to thump Oklahoma 62-53 in Kansas City. Middleton and Loubeau each had 15 points in the win
Kansas CITY, Mo.--
placed four players in double figures and Dash Harris and
drilled key 3-pointers in the last 4 minutes to lead the Aggies to a 62-53 victory over
Wednesday night in the first round of the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship at Sprint Center.
The ninth-seeded Aggies (14-17) were clutch at the line in the second half, nailing 14 in a row to earn their third straight tourney-opening victory. A&M advances to a quarterfinal matchup with top-seed and third-ranked Kansas on Thursday afternoon (2 p.m., ESPN2).
Eighth-seeded Oklahoma (15-16), trailing almost the entire second half, sliced the lead to 47-45 on Romero Osby's four free throws before Harris connected for his second 3-pointer at the 3:55 mark.
hit a bucket for the Aggies that
answered for the Sooners. Then Middleton's 3-pointer gave A&M a 55-47 lead with 1:42 left.
The Aggies used a 16-4 run through the latter stages of the first half to erase an early deficit and take a 27-22 lead into the locker room.
Trailing 14-9 with just over 9 minutes to play, Middleton converted consecutive buckets to pull A&M within one. Then
scored A&M's next 8 points, as the Aggies pushed the lead to as much as seven.
Loubeau and Middleton each had 15 points for A&M, while Elston Turner scored 14 and
Texas A&M POSTGAME NOTES
- Texas A&M won its third straight Big 12 Championship opening game and has won 5 of its last 7 openers dating back to 2006.
- The Aggies' victory was just their second in a first-round game at the Big 12 Championship ... in 2008, A&M won in the first round before advancing to the semifinals (A&M's victories in 2006, 2010 and 2011 were in the quarterfinals).
- Texas A&M won just its second game at the event as a lower-seeded team (2-12 all time) ... the other victory came in 2008 (quarterfinal win over #3 seed K-State, 63-60).
- A&M improved to 6-15 all-time at the Big 12 Championship, and is 6-6 in the event since 2006.
- The Aggies became the sixth straight 9-seed to advance to the Big 12 quarterfinals.
- A&M shot 88.2 percent from the line (15-of-17), a season best.
- The Aggies set a team Big 12 Championship record at the line, besting the previous mark of 83.3 percent (15-of-17) vs Kansas in 2010.
- Texas A&M's 27-22 halftime lead was its first at the half since Feb. 6 vs Texas.
- The Aggies' 5-point halftime advantage was their second-highest against a Big 12 foe this year (34-17, +17 vs Texas Tech on 1/14).
- A&M opened the first half 4-of-18 from the floor (22%), but closed by making 8 of its final 14 shots (57%).
- Texas A&M's 9-board margin on the glass (37-28) was its second highest of the season against a Big 12 opponent (+18 in win at Texas Tech).
- With 15 points, David Loubeau eclipsed the 1,200-point plateau ... Loubeau now has 1,207 for his career, ranking him 19th all-time.
- Loubeau played in his 132nd game at A&M, tying him for fourth on the all-time Aggie list with
- Elston Turner hit two 3-pointers to bring his season total to 70 ... he becomes the fifth player in school history to hit at least 70 treys in a season (
3 times, Bernard King, Derrick Hart,
) ... Turner's total ranks sixth on the school's all-time single-season chart.
- David Loubeau grabbed a season-high 9 rebounds.
A&M Comeback Falls Short in Finale
Mar 4, 2012
Column: Hoops Attendance
Feb 25, 2012
Aggies Battle OSU in Stillwater
Feb 25, 2012
2014 Scout.com Recruiting Yearbook
with an annual Total Access Pass
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from Websider.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Topics to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite topics. Click link to add to
Basketball > Texas A&M
View My HotList
Copyright © 2014 Scout.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms of Service
Junior College Football
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2014 Microsoft